H.R. 1692, the Sudan Peace, Security, and Accountability Act, has the potential to change outdated U.S. foreign policy towards Sudan. This important legislation will only work if you begin communicating with your Representative’s office and urge them to become a cosponsor. We’ve done actions similar to this in the past, but this time we’re taking a different approach. Instead of just calling your Representative’s local office, we want you to go there in person. We’ve broken this down into a few easy steps:
- Print off the Personal Letter and Petition.
- Over the next two weeks, complete your personal letter and collect as many signatures as possible from your community on the petition.
- Drive to your Representative’s local office and drop off the petition and your personal letter with one of the staff members. Before you leave, make sure you get a business card from one of the staffer’s so that you can stay in touch over the coming weeks.
- Reach out to the staffer one time a week until your Representative becomes a cosponsor. If you’re new to this, here are some basic guidelines to follow ->
- If you feel like you’re not making progress, reach out to our staff and we’ll help you decide what your next steps should be. Contact us here ->
- We want to hear your stories of success! Document your progress with your phone or camera and upload them to Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can tag us (@OBSilence) and use the hashtag #SupportHR1692. You can also email us your story and photos at email@example.com. We’ll be highlighting some of the best photos and stories on our blog!
H.R. 1692 will only pass if we push our leaders to support the morally right and politically responsible policy towards Sudan. The more cosponsors the bill has, the better the chances this will happen. It is up to us to move H.R. 1692 forwards!
Since launching the #SupportHR1692 Campaign, we have seen the following Representatives become cosponsors due to our amazing activists:
- Representative Ed Perlmutter
- Representative Bill Cassidy
- Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz
- Representative Frederica Wilson
- Representative Patrick Murphy
- Representative Richard Neal
- Representative Charles “Charlie” Rangel
- Representative Katherine Clark
- Representative Jerrold Nadler
- Representative Hakeem Jeffries
- Representative Emanuel Cleaver
- Representative Gene Green
- Representative Keith Ellison
- Have questions about the legislation ? Check out the H.R. 1692 Fact Sheet.
- Not sure who your representative is? Find out here.
- Print off the Personal Letter.
- Print off the Petition.
- Print off the Followup Phone Call Instructions.
- Read the Land of the Hungry Report for detailed information on the crisis in Sudan’s Nuba Mountains.