The United Nations General Assembly designated January 27—the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau—as International Holocaust Remembrance Day. On this annual day of commemoration, the UN urges every member state to honor the victims of the Nazi era and to develop educational programs to help prevent future genocides. Several countries in North America and Europe are highlighting this day with special events, speeches, and more.
The anniversary, marked each year since 2005, falls on the anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp in Poland by the Russian army in 1945. One million people died there 71 years ago.
International Holocaust Remembrance Day isn't just about looking back and remembering one of the darkest chapters of human history. This special day is also about learning from the past so that future genocides can be prevented and current crises ended. It is a call to action.
Sudan is widely considered to be ground zero for genocide and other mass atrocity crimes today. The good news is that you can get involved in helping survivors there. Operation Broken Silence is working to accelerate their ability to generate lasting change through storytelling, education, advocacy, and emergency relief programs. Here's 5 ways you can help this International Holocaust Remembrance Day:
1. Join The Conversation Online. You can connect with tens of thousands of people all over the world who are reflecting today. Check out and use the #irememberby and #memory2action to join the discussion online.
2. Watch USHMM Events Online. One of the best and most well-known museum's in Washington D.C. is a hosting a series of events today that you can watch for free online. Here from European ambassadors, survivors, and more. Watch Here »
3. Watch A Short Film About Sudan. Genocide did not begin and end with the Holocaust. Today, millions of people in Sudan are facing off against a government that has committed serial genocide. We made a 25-minute film about some of the survivors. WATCH HERE »
4. Make A Donation. Our lifesaving work only happens because of your generous support. You can give by card, check, or stock. Help us end genocide in Sudan. GIVE NOW »
5. Sign Up For Email Updates. Learn more about Sudan and how you can get involved by joining our email list. We rarely send out more than two emails a month . SIGN UP »